xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] need ideas for HTML manipulation

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] need ideas for HTML manipulation
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 14:38:05 -0400

Luca Passani wrote:

People, I need to do a bit of HTML parsing and manipulation. Originally I was planning to use my old love, Regular Expressions, but TagSoup may, in fact, be a better alternative.
Also, I am not sure which path I should follow.
XOM and XPath? NUX and XQuery?

Here are some of the things I would like to do:

should become:

What do you want to produce as your ultimate result? It sounds like a job for XSLT to me, possibly driven via TagSoup and XOM, or maybe TagSoup and Saxon, or something similar. But it really depends on exactly what you're trying to do.

But god help you, whatever you do, don't even think about using regular expressions for this!