xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Text.java path for optional builds

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Text.java path for optional builds
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:22:27 -0800

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:09:25 -0800, Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov> wrote:

> Here are the details. Note the funny use of the "delete" task and
> overwrite="true". This fixes a funny ant behaviour, where ant sometimes
> seems to be unable to figure out that a file has indeed changed,
> unfortunately forgetting to copy it.

You could file a defect with ant's bugzilla, but I think it'd be filed
as invalid

1. <copy> compares dest to source timestamps, and unless you say
'preservelastmodified=true' timestamps the dest to the copy time.

2. so all following copies wont work as the dest file is newer than
the source(s), unless you actually edit the source.

3. You can use the <different> selector in your fileset to compare
files for byte-for-byte difference; this is actually very fast if the
file sizes differ.

Any build process that overwrites files in the source tree is
inherently hazardous. Better perhaps to copy to an intermediate dir
and building from there.

-steve