xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] xpointer

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Greg Saunders" <saundersgreg AT hotmail.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] xpointer
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:49:29 -0500

Thanks again for the clarification.

On a related note: though I didn't see it listed in "XOM down the road" [1], are there any plans to implement the "xpointer()" scheme [2], even though it is only a W3C "working draft" and not a "recommendation"?

Regarding XPointer, you mention in your book: "If you need some means of pointing into an XML document, I suggest sticking with pure XPath instead." (Harold, 2004, p159.) [3] Is there some way to use XPath with XInclude other than the "xpointer()" scheme? Or how could we use XPath instead of XPointer?

Greg.

Great book, by the by. Clearest explanation of character sets and character encoding that I've read so far, for example.

[1] http://www.cafeconleche.org/XOM/futuredirections.xhtml
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xptr-xpointer-20021219/
[3] Harold, Elliotte Rusty. "Effective XML: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your XML." 2004. Addison-Wesley, Boston.