xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Beta 2 fixes bugs loading JDK 1.5 bundled Xerces

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Beta 2 fixes bugs loading JDK 1.5 bundled Xerces
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:33:15 -0400

Release early. Release often.

Stefan Matthias Aust noticed some problems using beta 1 with Java 1.5 when the standard Xerces was not in the CLASSPATH. I have posted beta 2 in the usual location to fix this problem:

http://cafeconleche.org/XOM/

I would appreciate it if people could test this in both Java 1.4 and 1.5 without having any parsers besides the JDK bundled parsers in their classpaths. There are some pretty skanky hacks behind the scenes to make this all work, and I've stumbled across at least one major bug in the bundled 1.5 parser while debugging this that Sun promises me will be fixed in their next drop.

While I was at it, I've used TagSoup to make the JavaDoc well-formed (possibly valid, I haven't checked) XHTML. tagsoup.jar is now bundled with the complete distributions. However it's only necessary to build XOM, not to run it.

  • [XOM-interest] Beta 2 fixes bugs loading JDK 1.5 bundled Xerces, Elliotte Harold, 08/17/2004