xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] RFE: Element.appendChild(String text) shouldreturn "this" for chaining

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Stefan Matthias Aust <sma AT 3plus4.de>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] RFE: Element.appendChild(String text) shouldreturn "this" for chaining
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:22:12 +0200

passani AT eunet.no schrieb:

Bruce Eckel sounds pretty disappointed about generics in Java.

http://mindview.net/WebLog/log-0050

he says ythat, given the way generics were introduced,
one just gets a shorthand
for casting objects, rather than anything as powerful at templates
in C++ (not that I really know what Templates are all about...)

I think, he got disappointed because he had quite different expectations.

Generics are polymorphic types but not macros. I'd call C++-templates macros (do not confuse real macros with #define statements; think Lisp or M4). For a really interesting macro system for Java check out JSE (Java Syntax Extender) which is the macro system of Dylan ported to Java.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust // "Zweifel sind der Ansporn des Denkens..." -U