xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XHTML JavaDocs

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XHTML JavaDocs
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:22:14 -0400

I've been noodling with the idea of publishing the XOM API documentation in well-formed (maybe valid, maybe not) XHTML for some time. Most of the internal comments in the source code are indeed well-formed. Unfortunately, the javadoc tool does not generate well-formed XHTML or even have an option to do so.

I explored writing a Doclet to do this, but it was just too much work. Sun doesn't provide enough hooks into the standard doclet to make this feasible by straight subclassing. I also tried Tidy, but there were a number of problems it couldn't fix, and that indeed prevented it from converting the documents at all.

Today it occurred to me that Jown Cowan had just made TagSoup compatible with XOM, and that I could feed TagSouped JavaDoc into XOM, then serialize the results using XOM's regular Serializer. 60 minutes later I had a directory full of well-formed JavaDoc. I still need to integrate this into my Ant build. However, in the meantime I have uploaded the new JavaDoc to the usual location at http://cafeconleche.org/XOM/apidocs/

If you have a minute, please browse around and report any breakages you notice. It would be helpful if you could indicate what browser you're using. My initial tests show everything working, but I'm only using Mozilla, so I wouldn't be surprised to encounter bugs with less up-to-date browsers.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/effectivexml http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0321150406/ref%3Dnosim/cafeaulaitA