xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Beta 1 is Here

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Beta 1 is Here
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:14:31 -0400

I am very pleased to announce XOM 1.0 Beta 1. You can download it from the usual location:

http://cafeconleche.org/XOM/

You should note that my criteria for entering beta is much stricter than most. In particular unlike some companies who shall remain nameless but who *release* major operating systems with thousands of known bugs, XOM Beta 1 has exactly *zero* known bugs. It is feature complete. All that remains to be done before final release is finishing the documentation and doing some minor code clean-ups. These include such housekeeping tasks as splitting long lines, spell checking the comments, and making sure the Javadoc is all valid XHTML. It may take a few months before I get all of this done, but none of it should have any affect on client code. Unless new bugs are uncovered, this may be the one and only beta release. I now believe XOM to be ready for serious, production use.

Beta 1 makes no backwards incompatible changes to the published API. Bug fixes since the final alpha include:

* The XInclude test suite is loaded and run from the W3C CVS server if it's not installed locally. Mistakes in the test suite (mostly involving doucment type declarations) are corrected on the fly.

* Work-arounds for various JDK bugs that prevent round-tripping of some characters in Japanese encodings

* Work-arounds for bugs in some versions of Xalan, as well for bugs in the OASIS XSLT conformance test suite.

* Improved compatibility with Java 1.5

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/effectivexml http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0321150406/ref%3Dnosim/cafeaulaitA