xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0 alpha 4

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0 alpha 4
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 07:41:58 -0400

Compiling with 1.5 was not so much a conscious decision as simply the result of where I had my JAVA_HOME pointing when I built the release. Looking over the documentation, it does look like this compiles for 1.5 by default which is weird. Earlier VMs compiled back a few versions.

I added the necessary attributes to the javac task in build.xml to assert 1.3 source compatibility and 1.2 binary compatibility, and rebuilt the release. It wouldn't be that hard to make this 1.1 compatible, though it would require some source level changes. The big 1.2 dependence is the collections API.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)