xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Use in EJBs

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Rich Sezov <sezovr AT yahoo.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Use in EJBs
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:29:04 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I'm new to the list, and have recently begun using
XOM.

First, I wanted to say that XOM is a great API, and
easy to use. I have had a problem, though,
incorporating it into an EJB I'm writing, as its
classes do not implement Serializable. Specifically, I
have a method which parses the elements out of an RSS
file into a bean, for use in a JSP. This works fine as
a standard Java class, but not in an EJB.

I saw in your design principles document that you are
deliberately not implementing Serializable, as it's
better to serialize to XML. While I agree with that,
the EJB specification requires classes to be
serializable so that the server can cache objects to
disk during load.

I can't see any way to get around this, so I don't
think XOM is usable in EJB apps. Do you have any tips
for getting XOM to work in an EJB? If not, would you
please reconsider making XOM's objects serializable?

Thanks!

=====
Rich Sezov