xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Obscure encodings

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Obscure encodings
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:32:38 -0500

It appears that IBM's Java 1.4.1 virtual machine for Linux does support all these encodings. Therefore I can test them, and users can use them if they need to. Thus support for all of these encodings are going to ship with XOM 1.0. :-)

On the other hand, IBM's Java 1.4.1 ships with an outdated version of Xerces which throws NoSuchMethodErrors when used with XOM. I'm working around that now, but the workarounds will probably make IBM's JVM noticeably slower than Sun's VM when used with XOM. :-(

There are also some issues with IBM's Xalan version I need to explore further.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)