xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Obscure encodings

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Obscure encodings
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:26:29 -0500

XOM currently includes support for several 8-bit ISO encodings that are not supported in the JDK, including:

ISO-8859-10
ISO-8859-11
ISO-8859-14
ISO-8859-16

These encodings do not appear to be supported in the latest JDK 1.5 alpha either, or in various IBM JDKs. Therefore I can't really test these. Thus I have two basic options:

1. Remove specific support for these encodings from XOM
2. Write my own OutputStreamWriter subclass to specifically handle these encodings. I already do this for EBCDIC-37 because Sun's EBCDIC-Unicode mapping tables are incorrect.

Naturally it's easier to remove the extra encodings, and I'm inclined to do that, unless anyone speaks up and says they actually need these encodings.