xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM deployment licensing issues

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Rogers Cadenhead <rogers AT cadenhead.org>, XOM-Interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM deployment licensing issues
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:03:17 -0400

At 2:53 PM -0400 6/3/03, Rogers Cadenhead wrote:

I think my licensing section (reproduced below) complies with XOM's
GNU Lesser Public License and Xerces' Apache Software License.

I've heard people claim that the Apache and GPL license are incompatible because of warranty and naming issues, but IANALL (I am not a license lawyer.)

Since it's a GPL project, I figure there isn't much chance I violated
XOM's LGPL. I am curious, though, what my other options were. Can I
use XOM's JAR file without modification in a commercial project?
--

Sure. As long as you only use it as a library (i.e. don't modify XOM itself) you're free to bundle it with anything. And if anybody asks you have to give them the source for XOM, but that's not a big deal in the age of the net. It doesn't infect your own code unless you go beyond using it as a library.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA