xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] ready for prime-time?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: dirk bergstrom <dirk AT juniper.net>, xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] ready for prime-time?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:31:31 -0500

At 8:35 AM -0800 2/7/03, dirk bergstrom wrote:

xom looks very appealing, but i'm a bit leery of committing myself to
something so new. do y'all think that xom is ready for production use?

Probably not unless you're comfortable maintaining it yourself if necessary.

is
the API stable?

No. There will be at least one method name change in the next release. There's also a likely additional method to be added to the Node class. Other problems may yet be discovered that require adjustment or modification.

is elharo committed to maintaining it for the next year?

Yes.

is it buggy?

Not very. There are a few known bugs in namespaces that will be fixed shortly. There are probably other as-yet undiscovered bugs.

will i be up the creek if elharo is hit by a bus?

Possibly. Depends on whether you're comfortable maintaining the code you need yourself. It's open source, and it shouldn't vanish as long as people are using it. Meanwhile, I'll try to stay out of the paths of oncoming buses. :-)

any
gotcha's i should know about?

XOM has been carefully designed to be gotcha free. The only gotchas you're likely to encounter are those that are gotchas in XML itself, which XOM faithfully reproduces.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |