xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM and the infoset

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Fitzgerald" <mike AT wyeast.net>
  • To: "XOM" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM and the infoset
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:35:39 -0700

This is merely an exercise in curiosity.

I've been thinking about whether it's possible to use XOM to
straightforwardly* extract values related to the infoset's 54 properties. I
am somewhat familiar with XOM's interface, so I took a stab at what I think
it can do. Each property is annotated with a 'yes' or 'no', answering
whether I think XOM can get the desired value. I certainly may be off in my
assessments. So far, XOM scores 32 gettable properties of 54 (59%). If
anyone can up the percentage, that'd be great.

Mike

*by /straightforwardly/ I mean it has classes and methods with a direct or
indirect relationship to the property, which allow one to determine a value.

2.1. The Document Information Item
[children] yes
[document element] yes
[notations] no
[unparsed entities] no
[base URI] yes
[character encoding scheme] yes
[standalone] no
[version] no

2.2. Element Information Items
[namespace name] yes
[local name] yes
[prefix] yes
[children] yes
[attributes] yes
[namespace attributes] yes
[in-scope namespaces] yes
[base URI] yes
[parent] yes

2.3. Attribute Information Items
[namespace name] yes
[local name] yes
[prefix] yes
[attribute type] yes
[references] no
[owner element] yes

2.4. Processing Instruction Information Items
[target] yes
[content] yes
[base URI] yes
[notation] no
[parent] yes

2.5. Unexpanded Entity Reference Information Items
[name] no
[system identifier] no
[public identifier] no
[declaration base URI] no
[parent] no

2.6. Character Information Items
[character code] yes, sort of
[element content whitespace] yes, sort of
[parent] yes

2.7. Comment Information Items
[content] yes
[parent] yes

2.8. The Document Type Declaration Information Item
[system identifier] yes
[public identifier] yes
[children] no
[parent] yes