wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Midwest flooding aid and a short e-mail!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.coop>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Midwest flooding aid and a short e-mail!
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:35:16 -0400

Hi folks!
I Hope that you are having a good August!

We've been having a milder than normal summer, but our friends in the midwest have been getting seriously soaked. IN fact, this soaking is having severe and serious effect on some small family farms. Our pal Barth from the Wedge Co-op in Minneapolis is trying to get some relief for these farmers and you can help!

SOW THE SEEDS: FLOOD RELIEF

Several of our farmers in Minnesota and Wisconsin have been hit very hard by the recent flooding. For a brief rundown of the farms and farmers enduring some painful times, read here:

http://eatlocalatthewedge.blogspot.com/2007/08/flood-report-from-local-farms.html

http://wcco.com/local/local_story_233191704.html

To show our solidarity with these farmers, Outpost Natural Foods, Eastside Co-op, the Wedge, and Just Foods Co-op are partnering with the Sow the Seeds Fund to gather donations for flood relief. Sow the Seeds Fund is a non-profit started by the Institute of Agriculture and Trade Policy. Its original mission was to purchase farmland and preserve it from development. The recent flooding, however, re-arranged that mission in favor of providing Flood Relief to sustainable and organic farmers serving the grocery co-op community.

There are a number of ways you can take part in raising money for Sow the Seeds Fund:

Please go to the Sow the Seeds Fund website where you can make donations easily online.

www.sowtheseedsfund.org
[it's in the process of being updated to reflect the Flood Relief campaign]

Wheatsville will MATCH your donation if you e-mail me gm AT wheatsville.coop and tell me how much you donated!

Just to put in perspective how much money these farmers have lost: According to WCCO, Jack Hedin of Featherstone Farms has already written off $200,000 worth of produce and Richard de Wilde of Harmony Valley mentioned a similar number. I doubt we can cover all that for 5 or 6 farms, but we can lessen the sting by showing these partners of ours that we, their customers and shoppers and co-op friends, feel this loss very deeply and we want to share the load.

We tend to focus on the close at hand help, but sometimes reaching a little further is the right thing to do! Can you help out? www.sowtheseedsfund.org

THanks!

From Bryan, our meat guy!
Hi folks, do we have a rare treat for you in the meat department this week. Just by chance we received a case of Coleman Natural USDA PRIME beef tenderloin. Prime grade is the highest the USDA grades based on marbling and tenderness and is usually reserved solely for resturant use. Of course its the same all natural, quality Coleman/B3R beef you already accustomed to. This time you won't pay out the wazoo for top quality, like at your favorite steak house, Tenderloin Steaks a steal at $19.99 lb. If you would like to make a special custom order for these cuts  give me a call (478-2667) or email me (meatdept AT wheatsville.coop) soon before its all gone.

Here are just a few of the Co-op Advantage Deals available this month!
More at: http://www.wheatsville.coop/CAP%20flyers/SW0807_final.pdf

 Refrigerated
Brown Cow Whole Milk Yogurt for 69¢
GT's Organic Kombucha, selected varieties 2 for $5!
Yves Veggie deli slices for $1.99
Silk Organic Soy Milk 64 oz. for $2.99
Spectrum Essentials Organic Flax Oil, 8 oz. for $7.99
Organic Valley Organic Large Brown Eggs dozen for $2.99

Grocery
Envirokidz Organic Cereal for $2.99
Annie's Homegrown Pasta and Cheese for $1.29
Kettle Potato Chips for $1.69
Seventh Generation Liquid Laundry Detergent for $12.99
Cascadian Farms Organic Cereal for $3.49
Barbara's Bakery Puffins Cereal for $3.29
Rudi's Organic Bakery Oragnic Bread selected varieties for $2.69
Late July Organic Crackers for $1.99

Frozen
Amy's Burritos are $1.99! (We always keep a few in the freezer at our house!)
Purely Decadent Non-dairy dessert for $2.99 (So good! I especially like Peanut Butter Zig Zag!)

Download the flyer or pick it up in the store for some tips on quick and easy Asian cuisine!

Hope you have a great week and let me know how much you donated to the farmers!

Dan
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy!

  • [Wheatsville] Midwest flooding aid and a short e-mail!, Dan Gillotte, 08/23/2007