wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Sumi Salads, Summer coolers and so on...

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.coop>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Sumi Salads, Summer coolers and so on...
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 16:46:46 -0500

Hi folks!

I hope you are having a fabulous start to your August!

I am very excited about our new Co-op Share Deli recipe from our friends in the newly expanded Whole Foods CO-OP in Duluth. Minnesota. Their talented deli crew have crafted a recipe for an asian slaw that is DELICIOUS! It's called Sumi Salad and it's a delicious mix of traditional cole slaw elements with almond slivers and more. It's described as a crunchy summer slaw with an Asian twist. We take fresh cut cabbage, mix it with green onions, sunflower seeds and almonds, then dress it with rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and spices. Only $4.99 a pound!
The other Co-op Share items is Fog City Macaroni, a classic Midwestern favorite. Slightly sweet mayonnaise dressing, elbow macaroni, chunks of cheddar cheese, peas, celery, scallions and roasted red peppers make this a popular picnic salad. Just right with burgers and dogs for an all American meal. People have really been enjoying this!

Both Co-op Share items will be available through August 15th!

Our salsa of the month is Cucumber Lime. It is a mild salsa, with lots of bright colored veggies. It's a light, flavorful summertime salsa, to help cool people down on a miserably hot august dog-day. It would go very well over cooked meats or veggies, or could just be eaten as a table salsa.

Cheese
Our cheese guy, Gabe, just got back from the American Cheese Society meeting in Portland, OR where he learned a lot of cool stuff about cheeses of the world. A really great thing that he learned is that our very own Pure Luck Dairy netted 4(!) awards from this prestigious event including First place for their Hopelessly Bleu Cheese. They also one 3 other prizes! Congrats to Pure Luck for doing Texas cheese-making right! Gabe will have much more about this event and our friends at Pure Luck in the next issue of the Breeze in September!
Gabe is also excited about a fine aged cheddar called Dubliner. It's new to our cheese case. Also, he likes our new Maple smoked jarlsberg.

Seafood
We are currently carrying some sustainably harvested Ahi Ahi Tuna Steaks and Troller Point's Coho Salmon Fillets. All of our fresh fish is wild and line caught. If you eat fish and haven't been checking us out, please give us a try!

In our Vitamin and Supplements area we have a new product:

JPEG image

Thor's Raw Power! Protein Superfood Blend
Certified Organic *100% Raw * Vegan * Net Wt. 16oz (454g)
Ingredients: Brazil nut protein powder, hemp protein powder, maca, goji berry powder, maca extreme (all ingredients are raw, vegan and certified organic)

http://www.rawfood.com

In Housewares, we have new Wheatsville Logo Non-Woven Polypropylene GreenBags for shopping called Chicobags.

JPEG image

1-year Limited Warranty
Ultra-Lightweight
Easily fits in your pocket, purse or glove box.
Made of strong and washable nylon.
Folds into an integrated pouch with hook for your keychain,
    belt loop or backpack.

Our Wheatsville Community Action Wednesday group for August is The People's Community Clinic. Here is some information about the group!

Many of us are lucky enough to have a doctor who knows and cares about us. When we don’t feel well, or it’s time for an annual check-up, we know where to turn. This is not true for everyone in our community: 1 out of 4 people living in Central Texas is uninsured. One organization is making a difference. Right now 11,000 patients call People’s Community Clinic their medical home. The Clinic is a treasured resource in our community because so many people have passed through its doors over the years, and it has provided vitally important services to each one of them. Founded in 1970 by a group of volunteer doctors and nurses, the Clinic now has a $5.6 million budget. Patients meet their primary care needs at a single location and see the same medical team every visit, which improves the quality and continuity of care. And the Clinic is careful to squeeze the most out of every donated dollar.

What Your Donated Dollar Will Buy:  83 cents of every donated dollar goes for patient services.
$20
pays for one flu shot…$84 pays for one well child exam…$96 pays for a chickenpox immunization…$125 pays for one office visit, including lab tests, and pharmacy costs…$325 ensures that children will receive a book at every well child visit for a month…$650 pays for a year of medical care, nutritional counseling, and supplies for a patient newly diagnosed with diabetes…$715 pays for a full course of pre-natal care…$900 pays for a full course of well child visits for a child from birth through age 10…

Hope to see you in the store!

Dan
Wheatsville Food Co-op GM and e-mail guy!