wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Herb Fair- Plants love rain

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.com>
  • To: <wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Herb Fair- Plants love rain
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:32:57 -0600

Hello Wheatsville!
While we expect to defy the weather reports for tomorrow, this is a reminder
that our Herb Fair goes on Saturday Rain or Shine! Plants love wet weather,
so it won't bother them any! From 10am-5 pm we will host growers from all
over the state offer a variety of Herbs, flowers, Garden plants, native
plants, vegetable starts, Bird houses and baths and more!
We have 3 great guest experts:
11am-Noon Ellen Zimmerman will speak about Herbal First Ad Kits
2-3pm Valerie Craft will teach us about Enzyme Therapy
3-4pm Kara Kroeger will tell us all about Aromatic medicine: Using essential
oils for healing
Since it's a Wheatsville event, we also have great music for young and old!
10-11am The Telephone Company will be bringing their silly and joyful antics
to our stage for a Children's hour (for kids of all ages, of course!)
12:30-1:30 Kamin and Geraci will play
4-5pm Ebb and Flo rounds out our Herb Fair day.
For more info please contact Judith Craft 478-2667

In addition to our great growers, musicians and speakers, we will also be
offering $1 off coupons to the Texas Home and Garden show
http://www.texashomeandgarden.com/index.cfm?npageid=14
at the Austin Convention Center also happening this weekend!

We'll also be handing out sample size Clif Bars this weekend!

Two other dates of note:
Saturday March 27th is our Member Appreciation Day. Members receive 10%
discounts all day (this is a good day to encourage your friends who are not
members to join! They can start saving immediately!) We'll have samples from
12-4!

Tuesday March 30th is Wheatsville's Birthday Party at Zilker Clubhouse with
catered food from the deli, a wine tasting and great live music! Save the
date!

One other non-Wheatsville item of note...
Last Intro to Permaculture of the Season.

Wed Mar 17, 6:30-8:30pm American YouthWorks South Campus 1901 E. Ben White
Blvd(SW cor of Ben White & Woodward - long building in back behind Quiznos)

Introduction to Permaculture
Practical principles and tools for living in alignment with nature
by Dick Pierce and Selwyn Polit

Permaculture is a design system for creating sustainable and ecologically
sound ways to live our lives in harmony with nature. It covers a wide range
of topics including edible landscapes, integrating animals, organic
growing, herb spirals, ponds, natural and green-building, maximizing food
production with small scale intensive growing and designing
self-maintaining landscapes.

Join us to learn more about Permaculture's practical principles and tools
for living in alignment with nature and making a difference.

For those living in or near San Antonio:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 7-9pm at San Antonio Garden Center 3310 New Braunfels Ave
San Antonio , TX 78209 c/o Funston & New Braunfels Ave adjacent to the San
Antonio Botanical Gardens

For Austinites:
Wed Mar 17, 6:30-8:30pm American YouthWorks South Campus 1901 E. Ben White
Blvd(SW cor of Ben White & Woodward - long building in back behind Quiznos)

These workshops are free and all are welcome. Please contact Selwyn Polit
Selwyn AT austintx.com 512-926-7876 or Dick Pierce dpierce AT ail.org
512-744-1941 with questions. More at www.AustinProgressiveCalendar.com
(click on Permaculture)
Fundamentals of Permaculture Course.

Patricia Allison will be teaching a 9-day Permaculture class in San Marcos
at the Stonehaven Ranch from March 26-April 4, 2004. This class is for
homeowners, apartment dwellers, farmers, foresters, land developers, city
planners, architects, teachers, and many others

You get to learn techniques, tools & design ideas to…
Mimic nature to design solutions unique to our Central Texas
climate, water, soil, vegetation, gardening etc.
Capture and effectively use and re-use water
Build an herb spiral
Plan a more edible landscape
Install ponds
Use natural & green building to deal with heat
Read a landscape to determine optimum placement of design elements
Maximize food output from compact growing areas
Design homes and landscapes that serve people, attract wildlife and
create restorative habitat.
Implement landscapes that takes care of themselves

Additional topics include:
Ecosystems,Ecology,Microclimate,Edible landscape,Waste,Wastewater,Trees &
Forests,Soil,Erosion Control,Water harvesting,Aquaculture,Animals,
Ecovillages,Gardening,Urban strategies,Wildland rehabilitation,Invisible
structures, Design,Creating a culture of cooperation,Building design,Maps
and mapping

Tuition for this 9-day long course which includes delicious organic
vegetarian food and camping is $600. The site is equipped with a pool,
jacuzzi and picturesque walking trails. Incentives for multiple
registrations, referrals and early payment (by Jan 31, 2004) are available.
Registration deadline: March 1, 2004. $50 late fee after that.

Not Sure? Check it out first. Free 2 hour 'Intro to Permaculture' sessions
will be regularly scheduled throughout the Winter and Spring. Attend an
Intro session and get free introductory materials."

Sponsored by Wheatsville Food Co-op
www.Wheatsville.com

For more information contact:
Selwyn Polit 512-926-7876 selwyn AT austintx.com
http://www.austinprogressivecalendar.com (click on Permaculture)

Hope to see you at some or all of these upcoming events!

Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville General Manager and e-mail guy!

  • [Wheatsville] Herb Fair- Plants love rain, Dan Gillotte, 03/12/2004