unclug - Re: [unclug] new listserv and facebook group

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "Douglas A. Whitfield" <whitdoug AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'UNC Linux Users Group'" <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] new listserv and facebook group
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:23:10 -0500

Good question Jeff!

Last I checked, Linux was Open Source, so an Open Source group applies to
Linux. However, Linux isn't the only Open Source OS/App in the world.
There happens to be BSD, Solaris, Firefox, Thunderbird. The word Linux
scares some people. Why not have a support group for people who use Windows
but also use Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP, whatever. The issue was discussed
as to making UNC LUG an official UNC Student Group. It was decided that it
would be best to broaden the umbrella. Open Source software is a big part
of my campaign, not only because tuition prices are going up, but also just
because open source software is a great idea. You don't have to be on
facebook to be a member. The previous e-mail listed a listserv you could
also join. You will also be able to join the student group without joining
the listserv or the facebook group. We were hoping to have a mission
statement and such before we got pubbing this thing hard, BUT, like I said
before I found out yesterday the DTH was putting the website in the paper
today and I wanted to garner as much support from the Open Source community
so when curious onlookers go to the facebook group, they will see there are
real people involved.

As I said before, this is brand new without a lot of details yet. When we
get them, you will. Cristobal Palmer is the current president, and since
he's graduating, we need to find an undergraduate to take his place for next
year. He may have additional information I don't have, since we didn't
discuss the issue much yesterday. If you have specific suggestions, let he
or I know. Just to give you some thoughts on what might happen, student
congress loves to pay for speakers, so we could bring in execs from Novell,
Red Hat or wherever. We could also have a physical support group instead of
simply asking questions over listservs. We don't really know what we can do
until we know how many people there are, since student congress bases its
funding at least partially on the group member count.

Thanks again. I look forward to your continued input.

Douglas A. Whitfield

SILS Class of '08
Master of Science in Information Science
cell: 919-360-0306
AIM: DouglasAWh