unclug - [unclug] RedHat's implementation of syslog?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [unclug] RedHat's implementation of syslog?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:11:18 -0400

I'm working on a project where I'm outputting some syslog data to a syslog server and when I listen for the connection on an OpenBSD or Solaris box the incoming logs look fine (i.e. fields in the log entries delimited by spaces), but when I import the logs to a Linux syslog server, some of the spaces get converted into:

^I

Is there a way to load the version of syslog used by Solaris & BSD onto a Linux host? Its got to be the Linux implementation of Syslog b/c I get the same "^I" behaviour on AS v3, RedHat 7.2, and RedHat 9.

I've been searching for the source code package so I can compile in on Linux but I cannot find it anywhere online, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff

  • [unclug] RedHat's implementation of syslog?, Jeff Bollinger, 07/15/2004