typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Poly Styrene, R.I.P.

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: HunnyPi007 AT aol.com
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Poly Styrene, R.I.P.
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 03:40:56 -0700

Yes, sadly, this is true. Her official Twitter confirmed about an hour ago:

@Poly_Styrene: "We can confirm that the beautiful Poly Styrene, who has been a true fighter, won her battle on Monday evening to go to higher places. PSTeam"

and NME and the BBC have reported it as well:

http://www.nme.com/news/x-ray-spex/56316

I remember hearing X-Ray Spex for the first time in high school via a foreign exchange student from England  whom I befriended mostly because she had cool new records from England that I knew I needed to hear. Indeed Poly Styrene was one of the forces that made me the woman I am today.

The last tweet Poly wrote (posted this past Wednesday, April 19):

"Slowly slowly trying 2 get better miss my walk along the promenade.  Would b so nice 2 sing again & play #GenerationIndigo live. Luv Poly X"

Cancer is a robber that must be stopped!

RIP Poly Styrene

Sent from my iPhone