typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Poly Styrene Black Christmas single and Twitter account

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: HunnyPi007 AT aol.com
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Poly Styrene Black Christmas single and Twitter account
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 18:48:11 -0500

Thanks for the tip, Larry-bob! Nice to hear Poly Styrene singing again. Not
all the excited by the song, but I'll give it some more listens and check out
her Youth-produced album., "Generation Indigo," that she has coming out in
March.

Yes, Poly was a Hare Krishna follower for a while. Dunno about now. FWIW, she
also put out "a New Age solo album" in 2004. But, yeah, Aileen, that video is
a bit of a mishmash. It's intent could definitely be clearer and the video
could lose many edits--seems like a not very sophisticated 80s video...

Just learned this from Wikipedia about Polly:

"As a teenager, she was something of a 'barefoot hippie'. At age 15, she ran
away from home with just £3 in her pocket, and hitchhiked from one music
festival to another, staying at hippie crash pads. She thought of this as a
challenge to survive. The adventure ended when, possibly hallucinating, she
stepped on a rusty nail while bathing naked in a stream and had to be treated
for septicaemia.

"In 1978, after a gig in Doncaster, Poly had a vision of a pink light in the
sky and felt objects crackling when she touched them. Thinking she was
hallucinating, her mother took her to the hospital where Poly was
misdiagnosed with schizophrenia, sectioned, and told she would never work
again. Although she missed playing at the time, in hindsight, Poly feels that
getting out of the public eye was good for her. She was eventually diagnosed
with bipolar disorder"

Wikipedia also informs that:

"Black Christmas features, and was written in collaboration with Poly's
daughter, Celeste and was inspired by the Killing spree in Los Angeles
instigated by a man dressed as Santa Claus."

And also that: "Styrene's daughter Celeste Bell - Dos Santos is the
frontwoman for the music group Debutant Disco based in Madrid, Spain."--Has
anyone here heard DD?

Additionally: "In March 2009, Styrene took part in the inaugural Instigate
Debate night. The night's theme was modern day consumerism." Perhaps her
stance on consumerism informs her new video.

Typically,
Lydia