typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Girl Power (the book)

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Jessica Speer <speer.jessica AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Girl Power (the book)
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:38:43 -0500

Marisa Meltzer is having a book talk with Alison Wolfe (Bratmobile) and Denise Oswald (Soft Skull Press) at McNally Jackson Books in NYC this week:

http://mcnallyjackson.com/index.php/component/option,com_events/Itemid,30/agid,513/day,11/month,02/task,view_detail/year,2010/

I'm stuck in class that night, but I hope someone gets to go!

Jess

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Jason Gross <perfect AT furious.com> wrote:

>Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:39:33 -0800
>From: Sharon Cheslow <decomposition AT mindspring.com>
>
>On a related side note - I saw Patti Smith do readings a week ago for
>her new book Just Kids, about her years in NY with Robert
>Mapplethorpe.  She was so inspiring!  I saw her at the Hammer Museum,
>doing a tribute to Harry Smith (who lived in the Chelsea Hotel with
>her and Robert), and at Skylight Books.  It's interesting that many
>women from the first wave of punk - like Patti Smith - didn't even
>consider themselves feminists.  Patti told a story about an interview
>she did with a "feminist magazine" (maybe Ms.?) in the '70s, and she
>joked that she didn't know why they'd want to interview her.

And related to that... Patti's got a great NYC art exhibit that's
been extended at Robert Miller Gallery.  It includes intriguing
photos, paintings, videos, sculptures.

<http://www.robertmillergallery.com/index2.html>

Jason

Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine
<http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
Crazed by the Music blog: <http://tinyurl.com/crazedbythemusic>
Twitter: <http://twitter.com/jgrossnas>