typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Girl Power (the book)

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Tobi Vail <tobivail AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Girl Power (the book)
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 11:32:06 -0800

here's my review:

http://jigsawunderground.blogspot.com/2010/02/girl-power-nineties-revolution-in-music.html

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Dina Hornreich <dina.hornreich AT gmail.com> wrote:
Is anyone else reading Marisa Meltzer's book on the explosion of
women in rock/pop music in the 90s?

I'm only halfway through it right now, but I do see it's relevance to
this listserv. It begins with a chapter on riot grrrl, and it
includes interviews with list-members like Sharon Cheslow and Tobi
Vail.  I think she puts things into a historical perspective that is
certainly valid (albeit a little subjective), and overlaps with mine
(being from "that" generation).

Reading it reminds me of a theory I never developed about women in
music being part of some kind of giant constellation rather than
unifying category in and of itself.  There is no one identifying
factor, but taking a few gigantic steps back you can see something
uniquely identifyingly female. Or not.

What is weird is that it keeps me wondering why I choose (or have
chosen) to listen to the music that I do -- to hear what's new and
innovative and interesting without overlooking the tendency of women
to have been marginalized; to feel like I am part of something bigger
and important (a feminist force); just because it catches me in that
certain way.

On an unrelated note, I have to thank the list for introducing me to
bands like wetdog and the coathangers. Did we discuss tUnE-yArDs?

...Dina