typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] T.I.T.S

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: Typical Girls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] T.I.T.S
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:29:38 -0400

http://www.upsettherhythm.co.uk/tits.shtml

T.I.T.S are four ladies from San Francisco known singularly as
Kim West, Abbey Kerins, Mary Elizabeth Yarbrough and Wendy
Farina. Their name is a "revolving" acronym, with one of the
finer ones being Technicolor Inner Troll Syndrome. The quartet
ply their trade in a kind of witchy, experimental doom-laden
pop, which could easily evoke reminiscences as diverse as
Sabbath, The Shop Assistants, Boris, or Christian Death with
some Terry Riley/Eno repetition added for good measure.

The T.I.T.S sound is underpinned by Mary Elizabeth's tumbling
darkened bass lines and Wendy's totally animal drum pound.
Abbey's guitar lays down the acerbic riff, while Kim's emits a
subtly oscillating sheet of feedback. Over the top, all four
harmonise with a kind of semi-operatic, fantasy whisper. The
effect is this inexplicable feel of time-travelling castle
metal - of four ladies of the lake casting forth a single
Excalibur, sinking it into stone so deep, no Arthur shall ever
wield it.

http://www.myspace.com/titsacrossamerica

Joly MacFie
212 608 1334