typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] The Raincoats at BFI London

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] The Raincoats at BFI London
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:34:28 -0400

That's great Shirley!

The vid wouldn't, for some reason, go full screen for me, but I was able to
find the file at
http://www.bfi.org.uk/llgff/sites/bfi.org.uk.llgff/files/news_videos/raincoats_512.flv
and play it in the trusty VLC player.

Also the I found the slideshow of the Raincoats pix at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/llgff/sets/72157616051931553/show/

Who were two young girls at the front? Are they a new addition to the band?

joly

At 04:37 AM 4/4/2009, you wrote:
>The Raincoats event at BFI London 28 March 2009
>The edit of 'The Raincoats, Fairytales-A Work in Progress' screened at the
>BFI last Saturday was 50 minutes long and covers the period from Ana and
>Gina forming the band in 1977, recording their fist single, touring the UK
>in 1979, playing in NYC in 1980 through to recording Odyshape in 1981 and
>included interviews with Geoff Travis, Mayo Thompson, Viv Albertine from the
>Slits, David Thomas from Pere Ubu, Lucy O'Brien, Chicks on Speed, Peaches,
>Green Gartside and Tom Morley from Scritti Politti, Andy Gill from the Gang
>of Four, Helen McCookerybook, Jane Woodgate from the Mo-dettes, Susanne
>Oberbeck (No Bra), Neal Brown, Vivien Goldman, Ingrid Weiss, Vicki Aspinall
>and of course Ana, Gina and Shirley. Live super 8 footage of gigs in Warsaw
>in April 1978 and London Albany and Electric Ballroom in June 1979 was
>featured and super 8 footage from Ana's film from 1978 'her room', Gina's
>'Scream' and film from the band's trip to NYC in 1980.
>
>Following a panel discussion Ana and Gina were joined by Anne Wood and
>Jean-Marc Butty to play 7 songs....
>
>Here's a link to BFI Live clips of the event:
><http://www.bfi.org.uk/llgff/node/2752>http://www.bfi.org.uk/llgff/node/2752
>
>and a link to some photographs:
><http://www.flickr.com/photos/llgff/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/llgff/
>

>Shirley