typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Do it Yourself: The Story of Rough Trade

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Do it Yourself: The Story of Rough Trade
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:13:58 -0400

Yes, if only they'd killed it in 82 like I did Better Badges :)

I didn't d/l the shows yet, but I just did order and read Rob Young's book
and - in keeping
with parochial POV you decry - one glaring omission that stood right away was
the lack of
any mention of Rough Trade US and it's highly seminal role in releasing
'Blue Monday'
and 'Wanna Buy A Bridge', not to mention thoroughly dousing the west coast in
reggae.

>I'm interested in anyone's take on both the documentary and the live
>performances. I think both tend to become uneven towards the end, when they
>begin to lean towards acts that Rough Trade licensed rather than shepherded
>in, too much Smiths, and too much time spent on Geoff Travis' rebirth in
>artist management. I mean, how much Duffy did we really need to see? And
>why no coda for Richard Scott, Mayo Thompson, or Shirley? And I'm sure in
>the live special, there had to be some Fall clips in the archives...why in
>god's name do we need to see James?
>
>I don't have any invites to the Box, and my suggestion is to keep trying to
>register. My account got closed out early last week due to inactivity, and
>I re-registered the next day, no problem.
>__

Joly MacFie
212 608 1334
http://wwwhatsup.com