typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Do it Yourself: The Story of Rough Trade

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: John Caples <jcaples AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Do it Yourself: The Story of Rough Trade
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:53:22 -0400

I'm interested in anyone's take on both the documentary and the live performances.  I think both tend to become uneven towards the end, when they begin to lean towards acts that Rough Trade licensed rather than shepherded in, too much Smiths, and too much time spent on Geoff Travis' rebirth in artist management.  I mean, how much Duffy did we really need to see?  And why no coda for Richard Scott, Mayo Thompson, or Shirley?  And I'm sure in the live special, there had to be some Fall clips in the archives...why in god's name do we need to see James?

I don't have any invites to the Box, and my suggestion is to keep trying to register.  My account got closed out early last week due to inactivity, and I re-registered the next day, no problem.