typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Astaron

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: josh cheon <jcheon AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Astaron
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:19:56 -0800

just wanted to share a great all girl band with you that i've never
seen mentioned on this listserve or on Jenny Woolworth's women in punk
blog... ASTARON

this is what my friend Phil had to say on his blog:

The music ranges from dirgelike chants to ethereal darkwave to
haunting ballads. The EP is a bit more cold/darkwave sounding, with
danceable beats on all songs; the LP is all doom and gloom, especially
from the song "In an Absence" on to the end. Elements of groups like
Vyllies, Cocteau Twins, I'm So Hollow, Malaria, Kas Product, and early
Danse Society can be heard throughout these releases. Many songs
(especially on the EP) also remind me of stuff by more recent darkwave
bands, especially The Vanishing and Autonervous.
As for this duo, it contains two girls, who are never named. I do
know, through some research, that one of the members was Angie Morth,
aka Angie Modepunk, one of the members of seminal minimal
electronic/post punk band Viele Bunte Autos (whose entire catalog has
been reissued on cd, and who can be heard on their myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/vielebunteautosmusik

you can hear their songs here:

http://goutroy.blogspot.com/2008/07/astaron-selftitled-lp-lance-ensemble-ep.html
http://goutroy.blogspot.com/2009/01/astaron-das-grauen-aus-dem-all-tape.html