typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] THE SLITS REFORM FOR NEW SHOWS

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: robin dudley <rodudley AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Undergrou" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] THE SLITS REFORM FOR NEW SHOWS
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:51:27 -0800

well first off i don't think i said anything about Typical Roxy girls? did I? nor did i say kate was on the white riot tour. like i said i don't remember when the roxy shut down and i don't know when you took pictures. i know : that kate was still in the band in summer of 77, though she had to spend some time with her mother after a heart attack; perhaps viv played with them during that hiatus but i don't think so.  i repeat dates are hard to remember unless they have "markers" so maybe it was all earlier than i suggest but the summer 77 stuff is pretty definite! i also know that she helped write most of the original set, came up with the name, and played the first few gigs when nobody else was interested in being in a band entirely made up of girls. she created a job that others saw as desirable, and for that she deserves not to be written out of the history. there are plenty of other myths entangled in the actual history. for some reason people like to think these girls just picked up instruments and jumped on stage. they practiced and wrote for months before performing. (except for tessa! the teenage prodigy). by the time she hit the stage with the slits viv had been playing for well over a year with coaching from keith l, one of the best guitarists to grace the punk scene. kate had been playing music since the age of 3. paloma started well before the slits did. ari learned instruments as she went, and they all learned onstage about being onstage. yes it took guts, yes they were unpolished and fearless, what i am trying to say is myth is myth and tends to exaggerate the true stories. this includes most other bands at the time not just the slits......