typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Show In Philly That Might Interest Some of You

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Sara Sherr" <sarasherr AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Show In Philly That Might Interest Some of You
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:39:55 -0400

Feel free to pass along to anyone who might be interested:

SUGAR TOWN: A Night of Lady Rockers & DJ's

SAT 4/26
9PM $7 21+
Tritone
1508 South Street
215-545-0475
http://www.tritonebar.com
http://www.myspace.com/tritone

COLETTE COLUMBIRCH (Japan)
http://www.myspace.com/colettecolumbirch
The 'Stamps home office has been resonating pretty much non-stop with
the ambient electro-awesomeness of their MySpace page since Bleached
Jeff tipped us off about 48 hours ago, and it's really everything
you'd want from the lovechild of Air and your favorite Swedish pop
group. (Badminton Stamps)

BELLS BELLS BELLS
http://www. myspace. com/bellsbellsbells
You're probably wondering about the name. Sure, carillons are great
and all, but do you need three of 'em? We say you do. Think about it —
"Bells" on its own would suggest the brand of New Age sedation heard
at Renaissance faires or on predawn radio shows, whereas "Bells Bells"
sounds like the laptop electronica outlet of some twitchy,
tight-shirted indie kid. Either of those options would totally belie
the raucous rock pedigree of this Philly quartet. Keyboardist Kat
Paffett did time with shrieking stars An Albatross, while guitarist
Kevin Fassett drums for mod rockers The Chance. In the
reverence-to-history sense, Amandah Romick's breathy vocal vibrato
shows she studied her Slits records well, and if that's still not
enough justification for you, the band's propulsive tempos and densely
affecting arrangements make a triad moniker absolutely necessary.
Bells Bells Bells it's got to be, and if you don't agree, listen to
"Spy Song" and see if you still feel like arguing. (John Vettese, CP)

ALICE COHEN (Philly/NYC, ex Vels, Die Monster Die, Long Lost)
http://www. myspace. com/alicecohen
http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Alice_Cohen
Dubbed "Eastern seaboard alterna-royalty" by Mike Chilton of Canada's
Exclaim! Magazine (September 2002) and called "something of a legend"
by New York Noise, Alice Cohen has formed or been a major contributor
to bands both well-known and obscure since 1978. Cohen's solo debut is
"Sky Flowers," in which ethereal guitars and psychedelic synthesizers
weave dance beats with darkly melodic pop in songs about ghost towns,
spirit photography and outer space. She is known for eclectic imagery
and iconography, as well as for her acumen with large installations
that join music and fine arts.

H*E*R (NYC, Mem. of Birdbrain)
http://www. myspace.com/persiancardinal
"Songs About the Mysteries of Housework and Nature is a collection of
dark and dreamy songs by Yvette Perez that tells stories of conflicts
of domestic habits with the outer world. It blurs the line between
improv and song; between prismatic recollection and blighted reality.
Perez is also the bandleader/vocalist/songwriter/arranger for new
york's avant-pop/jazz quintet Birdbrain.

DJ JULIA FACTORIAL (WPRB)
http://www. philadelphiaweekly.com/view. php?id=1371
My love for DJing grew out my being a complete radio geek throughout
most of my formative years. This has led to a record collection that
grows a bit more out of control as each paycheck gets cashed. There
are few things as rewarding to this record geek as spending a day on
the floor of Spaceboy Music or the Record Exchange looking for
someone's request or listening to something I'm not familiar with and
being totally blown away. I do gigs that utilize everything I've got:
'50s and '60s rock 'n' roll, British invasion, garage, indie rock,
soul, New Wave, art rock, '80s roller skate jams, riot girl, pop-punk,
etc. I'm almost never behind the booth: I'm out on the floor dancing
with everyone, taking requests and enjoying people having a good time.
It's important to me to have enough familiar material in any given set
to satisfy people who are just passive nightclubbers, but it's great
when songs I took a chance on wind up becoming songs that are
requested regularly. This happened at Shampoo's Wednesday night party
"Nocturne"--I played the Descendents "Bikeage" and the place exploded.

  • [TypicalGirls] Show In Philly That Might Interest Some of You, Sara Sherr, 04/17/2008