typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Slits @ Webster Hall

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: Typical Girls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Slits @ Webster Hall
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:18:07 -0500

The Slits played Chloë Sevigny's party last Monday during NYC Fashion week.
Here's a round up of the online fallout. Personally I couldn't get the NY
Times
video to play, you may have better luck.

Pix:

Chloë and Ari
http://www.wwd.com/content/articles/020608_04.jpg

Flyers:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_TqgIyJKDw1Y/R6iULyNKDkI/AAAAAAAAAlU/C5Pa1-cz634/s1600-h/DSC01262.JPG

Canopy
http://bp3.blogger.com/_TqgIyJKDw1Y/R6iT2yNKDhI/AAAAAAAAAk8/0RrHscv8UK4/s1600-h/DSC01250.JPG

Onstage:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/littleknife/2243724421/sizes/l/
http://www.papermag.com/freeformimages/2008/fw_fall08/back_front_party/chloe_oc_party/chloe_oc_party11.jpg
http://www.papermag.com/freeformimages/2008/fw_fall08/back_front_party/chloe_oc_party/chloe_oc_party12.jpg
http://style.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/05/slits.jpg
http://www.style.com/slideshows/parties/020608CERO/45m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dutchgiant/2244339807/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jverne/2245199239/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danalaurengoldstein/2245507627/

Video:
http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=f70997da4cafc45882ec2f45e9ff33beddc3d40f

Reviews:

http://www.wwd.com/eye/article/122363

Cool chick Chloë Sevigny has loads of equally hip
friends to call on when she decides to throw a party.
But even she was surprised by the turnout at the bash
she hosted at Webster Hall Monday night - along with
MAC Cosmetics, Self-Service Magazine and boutique
Opening Ceremony - to celebrate her debut collection
for the store and featuring a special performance by
British punk rock band The Slits. By the time she
arrived around 10:30 p.m., there was a line snaking
around the block, three deep with grungesters,
alternative chicks and general misfits.

"Oh my God, did you see how many people are out
there?" exclaimed Sevigny to Slits lead singer Ari-Up
as they made their way backstage. "It's, like,
thousands!"

"They're all here for you," replied the red fishnet-
bedecked belter. (She might have had a point, as many
of the Opening Ceremony posters of Sevigny plastered
all over the venue were quickly ripped off walls by
eager fans.)

It has been 20 years since the band last performed at
Webster Hall. "We really changed music, the culture
and clothes. We were 30 years ahead of everyone. We
were the first to wear tutus with Doc Martens, and
then Madonna started dressing like us," claimed Ari-Up
of the quartet, which formed in 1976.

Though you wouldn't guess it from Sevigny's Liberty
print-laden collection, the actress-designer claims to
be quite inspired by The Slits. But don't expect to
see them making fashion week appearances a regular
activity. "We're more individual," declared
keyboardist Hollie.

They certainly attracted an eclectic crowd. Upstairs
in the VIP area, Andy Samberg held hands with date
Joanna Newsom, while Natasha Lyonne chilled with
friends. Alexander Wang danced up a storm (apparently
his own party Saturday night wasn't enough).

==

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/shinan/archive/2008/02/06/shinan-chlo-235-s-party-contains-100-recycled-goods.aspx

Making my entrance just around the time that the
British punk band The Slits were about to go on, it
occurred to me that Williamsburg was probably empty
this night, what with the generous hipster
representation out. There were men who looked like
Borat, lesbians in plaid, rumpled musician types with
girlfriends who looked like Feist if Feist was Asian.
Of course, there was some Saturday Night Live
representation too, in the form of Andy Samberg and
Seth Meyers. Margherita Missoni did her best to up the
the Italian fashion heiress quotient, and Ginnifer
Goodwin, who plays one of Chloë's rival wives on Big
Love, appeared to play the ever-supportive TV co-star.

Chloë, who had her signature wispy hair and a sailor-
ish wisp of a dress, was so into The Slits that she
was right up near the front of the stage during their
whole act, dancing right along with the peons.
Tentatively, I danced near her. And for some time,
before I eventually tired of the hysterical hipness of
it all, it was fun. So fun, that it felt not like 2008
or 2007, but 1999.

==
http://jezebel.com/353017/chlo-sevigny-party-made-me-hate-fashion-week-life

Other celebs I saw were Karen O, Richie Rich, Three as
Four, Sophia Lamar, Ben Cho, Leo Fitzpatrick, and I'm
pretty sure I saw Margherita Missoni. The Slits took
the stage at like 12:30 or something. I realized,
looking around, that instead of a "party" this was
merely a free concert. The one thing I actually really
liked was seeing Chloë down in front of the stage,
singing along and jumping up in down. It was cool to
know she was having a really great time in the crowd
with the peons, instead of sitting in the V.I.P. area
with the idiot assholes.

==
http://www.streetbonersandtvcarnage.com/blog/chloe-sevigny%e2%80%99s-opening-ceremony-line-official-launch-with-the-slits/#more-677

So the Slits played. I guess that's amazing and
everything. There must have been 2,000 people there
and we were all, "There's no way everyone here (most
of them under 25) is into the Slits." As they started
playing, the kids trickled out slowly because they
remembered they didn't give a shit about 70s girl
punk. I guess I was into the Slits when I was 20 and
wanted people to think I was cool but I'm older now
and all I listen to is Kid Rock. [Ed note: can anyone
name more than 3 Slits songs? Where would they be
without that awesome mud picture?]

==

http://www.papermag.com/?section=article&parid=2405

The Slits played and every hipster cutie and their
cousin was in attendance -- Benjamin Cho, Natasha
Lyonne, M.I.A., Threeasfour, etc. etc. etc. A fun,
fashion-meets-rock'n'roll time was had by all.

==

http://www.style.com/trends/blogs/style_file/2008/02/slit-to-there.html

"I didn't realize they'd turned into a reggae band."
Such was the chatter at Webster Hall on Monday night
as legendary girl punk band the Slits took to the
stage with a ganja-beat version of "Typical Girls" at
the Opening Ceremony/MAC/Self Service party
celebrating Chloë Sevigny's new clothing range. Of
course, the Slits always were a reggae band, in the
same way the Clash were a reggae band at heart, and
savvy DJ Paul Sevigny had been "Jamaican" the hipsters
crazy for the length of his warm-up set-a pretty good
clue of what was to come. "And now for some real
reggae!" screamed frontwoman and force of nature Ari-
Up, before launching into a hyperactive cover of the
Dennis Brown classic "Man Next Door." Backstage after
the set, Up juggled two bags of Chloë Sevigny for
Opening Ceremony garb gifted her by the designer and
corralled the rest of her band onto a sofa for a photo
op. "I love the clothes!" she exclaimed, tearing the
through the bag for the benefit of a video camera.
"Chloë's a genius. I can't fit into anything, but what
the hell, I figure I can find a way to wear this
anyway," she said, holding up a Liberty print dress.
"I might rip it, but so what?" BTW: Punk's not dead.

==

http://www.dailycandy.com/dossier/posts/freakishly_long_lines_at_chloe_sevigny_for_opening_ceremony_party.jsp

As for the bash, The Slits (who, a friend suggested,
"look like Fraggles") played live.

==

WWWhatsup NYC

  • [TypicalGirls] Slits @ Webster Hall, WWWhatsup, 02/07/2008