typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Boston Slits

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Jason Gross <perfect AT furious.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Boston Slits
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 08:42:00 -0500

Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:51:47 -0500
From: "Lani Smith" <LSmith AT minlib.net>
Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Boston Slits show/Mo-dettes/Thank
you.../Nightingales

As I mentioned, a friend with similar taste really didn't like the show. I
think it's a real division between dancehall/dub and punk/rock. Seriously,
what's a real Slits fan to expect!!? Dare I say it's a racial divide?? This
begs the question of venues, and how much they play music, or draw audiences
that "cross over". I also wonder why people resist, after all these years
the seamless (in my mind) and beautiful blend of musical styles.

That's a very good point. When Ari asked the NYC crowd if they wanted to hear more punk or reggae, guess what they wanted? Anyone dissing them for being too much Kingston and not enough UK anarchy hasn't really listened to their records it seems (or only remembers them from some early Peel sessions and Once Upon A Time). Sad.

And yes, they've had sound problems earlier in the tour too. At the Knit, they had problems with this loud feedback buzzing. Also, you couldn't hear Ari's voice at times and one of the guitarists later told me that she couldn't hear anything from the rest of the band so she had to watch them playing to pick up cues. They did have a sound-check beforehand but whoever worked the board for that show didn't do their job well.

Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and semi-improved!
<http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
Crazed by the Music blog: <http://blogs.popmatters.com/crazedbythemusic/>