typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Boston Slits show/Mo-dettes/Thank you.../Nightingales

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Lisa Garrett" <lisajgarrett AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Boston Slits show/Mo-dettes/Thank you.../Nightingales
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:08:19 -0500

hello all -
after an unitentional hiatus, i'm back on the typical girls list, thanks to lurking on the girlgroup list!
chiming in here to reinterate about their show i saw in berlin in may. same problems. at first, yeah, i thought maybe since there had not been many shows yet with the original lineup (plus those from ari's crew) it took a little getting used to.
but almost every show, complaining about sound? hmmm - one has to wonder how much of it is incapable sound people and how much is the band - and communication.
since then, the guy who signed up to manage them in europe called it quits.
in other words, there's no doubt that ari has her, um, eccentricities.

speaking of women who had their heyday whilst teenagers fronting their own reggae-tinged bands, i saw bowowow the other night. was kinda blown away by how good they were. all the musicians were tight, and annabella looked and sounded great (dressed as a marie antionette knockoff, well... they were there to help promote the movie whose soundtrack they are on). it was clear that they were not just a band trying to relive its past. i had to leave before the hit(s), tho...

Good to be back,
Lisa