typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] A band of sisters

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "J Neo Marvin" <j_n_e_o AT hotmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] A band of sisters
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:44:40 -0700

Another thought after reading it again...editors and journalists tend to like stories with an angle that gets people's attention, so perhaps this was Kimberly Chun's way to get some press for a couple of her favorite new bands, T.I.T.S. and 16 Bitch Pileup, in a companion piece to her very interesting Erase Errata article. Pity we end up with a rather glib, silly setup at the start...oh yeah, Sleater-Kinney, Le Tigre, and Destiny's Child have so much in common, don't they?

But I suspect the author's intentions were honorable, but twisted by the notion that you have to have some kind of bold, sweeping thesis to stimulate arguments on the letters page and therefore render the article worth writing.

[This story is spin I'd say. Le Tigre are just on hiatus. And there are
more girls in bands now than ever.]