typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] fun stuff

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: weasel walter <weaselw AT juno.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] fun stuff
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:59:02 -0800

this is waaaay off topic, but tough luck. after the weak, almost totally unwarranted attack made on me by some lurker last week, i posted a blog on this topic mainly because these people are always the same. we've all encountered this kind of person. they work in the exact same way every time and i think it's kind of an amusing topic that might appeal to some people here . . . this is all i'm going to say about it. anybody else can feel free to use the aftermath to fling whatever poop you want at me here but i don't care. i will wait until there's something else i want to address on this list and simply ignore it. i'm that kinda guy.

ww

 i just have to stay offline from these goddamn newsgroups.

every time i go to one, i'm looking for actual discourse. sometimes this discourse arises from myself happening not to agree with the popular thrust of the group mind. some people get really edgy when they hear a good, clear argument against what they stand for or someone articulate begging to differ in matters of taste. does that make me more "correct" than anybody else? nah. it's just conversation.

usually at that point some pathetic soul arises out of the woodwork in a lame attempt to take a quick shot at the dissenter (me in this case). it's always the same: in their tiny 12 point new-times-roman bug voice they 1) make fun of my name (that's real hard) and then 2) tell me that "nobody likes my crappy music" (not very imaginative, if patently incorrect or at worst, a matter of perspective) and then they 3) usually say that all i want to do is say negative stuff, when really it's only the negative/critical/things-they-don't-agree-with they've actually noticed amongst copious constructive discussion offered by me. it's always the same limpwristed, broken record amateur-hour pratfall. it's funny and impossible to take seriously as criticism. it bounces off me like pure indian rubber.

and this sort of attack accomplishes what? it makes that weak little lurker feel like they've really got off their usually silent, ineffectual butts and stood up to issue some kind of powerful statement to regain the glory of the status quo! apparently they believe that their feeble act of internet assassination has freed the group mind from any possible criticism. BRAVO! little fool. i'm still here and you still have a bug up your ass about me. tough luck. you know, what i'm NOT going to stay offline from newsgroups . . .

ww