typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Shivvers/DVD-authoring help?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Chuck Warner <chuck AT hyped2death.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: frank mauceri <smogveil AT yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Shivvers/DVD-authoring help?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:21:27 -0500

Title: Re: [TypicalGirls] Shivvers/DVD-authoring help?
Thanks for the help so far, but I thought I'd better post an update from the offline comments so far on this and another news-group:

The problem with the iMovie/iDVD program from Mac's lovely (and very reasonably-priced) iLife '06 suite is that they suffer from the built-in refusal of OSX to allow capture or editing of anything that it recognizes as DVD (whether the source is protected or region-free or not).  Mac does this at the Unix/system level to prevent DVD piracy, of course, but annoyingly it prevents subsequent editing of shared unprotected DVD media as well.

Frank Mauceri of Smog Veil Records wrote:

You probably cannot capture DVD video/audio using iDVD
or iMovie or the higher end apps Final Cut Pro and DVD
Studio Pro.  I have seen apps that allow it, but have
never used them, and I've never seen a
shareware/freeware version.

HOWEVER, iMovie HD, which is included in iLife states
the following:

"In addition to transferring video from your digital
camcorder, you can import video from a CD or DVD, or
from other locations on your computer's hard disk."

and further provides instructions for doing so.

BUT, I just tried it using a DVD I created in a
previous version of iMovie/iDVD and it did not work.

I own an excellent program called Snapz Pro X that uses screen-shot code to work around the OSX blockade but because it must capture the video stream in real-time it is limited to 30 frames per second: that's fine for making MPEGs for extended CDs, but useless for DVD transfer/authoring.

Painful/pricey as it may be I think I'll have to plug the DVD player [analog] into an outboard digital converter and Firewire that back into my Mac.  Then use iMovie and iDVD as necessary.  I suppose it will also be handy to have that kind of set-up for VHS transfers of other bands, but,

Meanwhile I'll try talking the band into letting me go back to a "simple" enhanced CD instead.  They've been such sweethearts over the years I hate to disappoint them.

Well, thanks again: further patches/fixes/suggestions are still welcome.

C.

Chuck Warner
Hyped to Death CDs
http://hyped2death.com

  • Re: [TypicalGirls] Shivvers/DVD-authoring help?, Chuck Warner, 01/26/2006