typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Delta 5 Peel session tracks

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "George Romansic" <romansic AT serv.net>
  • To: "'dan palmer'" <dan.palmer AT ntlworld.com>, <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Delta 5 Peel session tracks
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:30:50 -0700

Title: Re: [TypicalGirls] Delta 5 Peel session tracks
How many of us have a clear idea as to when it's okay to post tracks and when it's not?  It's a judgment call, finding the balance between helping to promote a record and cutting into potential sales.

In this instance I believe the posted tracks mostly serve to whet the appetite for the KRS release.  We're all going to buy it anyway, so I don't see a real need for an apology.  The tracks are out there and we'd find them if we wanted them badly enough.

It gets messier, I think, when you post Inflatable Boy Clams or Pink Section or something long out of print and very difficult to find.  On the one hand you're sharing something great that most people aren't going to hear otherwise.  On the other, I know there's been talk about issuing some of these things on CD, and posting the tracks now might actually have the potential to undermine such a deal.  (They're probably there already, but I have the vinyl so I haven't looked).  Those of you who run labels know that these projects are for love and not money, but every sale made increases the likelihood of being able to do more good work.  (Which is why I'm extra glad I bought the Liliput/Kleenex and Essential Logic CD's, because now I get the Delta 5 CD I've been waiting for all these years.  Thank you, Slim and KRS).

I doubt this message accomplishes anything more than throwing further fog on this already murky situation, but I remain hopeful that somebody will some day explain it in a way that will help me to be clear and consistent about it.   I think the thing hinges upon the economic details more than anything else...but I welcome possible enlightenment.

 -GR