typicalgirls - RE: [TypicalGirls] Raincoats / Solex / LF

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Linda Smith <misslinny55 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [TypicalGirls] Raincoats / Solex / LF
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 16:18:07 -0700 (PDT)

The sound might also be achieved by putting a pickup on the violin, connecting to an amp, and then placing a microphone in front of the amp.

Linda

J Neo Marvin <j_n_e_o AT hotmail.com> wrote:
>From: "m. d."
>To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
>Subject: [TypicalGirls] Raincoats / Solex / LF
>Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 20:25:15 +0200 (CEST)
>
>hello,
>a friend who plays violin want to know how could she
>get "the Raincoats's violin noisy sound" on her
>instrument?. Does anybody know?. Did Vicki Aspinall
>use any special thing for that?.

I'm no violinist or violin expert, but I think it's mainly a result of
bowing very roughly/aggressively. Diane Wallis (ex-She Mob, ex-Content
Providers) gets a similar sound when she plays.