typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] rotgs

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Dina Hornreich <dinahornreich AT earthlink.net>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] rotgs
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:33:13 -0700 (PDT)

At the risk of sounding like a gushing schoolgirl, I just have to tell all of
you that: If you haven't heard _Return of the Giants Slits_ yet, you *must*
get it if =only= to hear "IMPROPERLY DRESSED"!

I mean, up until now, my most favorite Slits song has probably been the
"Earthbeat/Wedding Song" (off the peel sessions album) but I have found
myself equally drawn to "Improperly Dressed" -- I can't articulate it well
yet (I've been formulating phrases to describe its appeal but nothing has
arisen that I care to share...)

How could I have gone on this long not having heard this song? I do not know.

Of course, I realize that everything I own/hear by the Slits is fantastic.
So, my exclusion of _Cut_ in this discussion by no means indicates that I
find any of it to be subpar (what a sacrilege!). And I change my mind with
mood, anyhow. But this is my current mood/state of mind.

-Dina

dinahornreich AT earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~dinahornreich/

Moderator, Typical Girls List
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=17851

Ockhams Razor: Basic Scientific Principal
"All things being equal the simplest explanation
and the simplest answer is probably the right one."

  • [TypicalGirls] rotgs, Dina Hornreich, 05/26/2004