typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] torchbearers

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Dina Hornreich <dinahornreich AT earthlink.net>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] torchbearers
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:53:07 -0700 (PDT)

When TG was first created in July 1999, there was a thread introduced by Mike
(Appelstein) called torchbearers -- about the people who have carried on the
TG aesthetic (torch) in the today's music scene. I remember Mike aptly
suggested The Receptionists (who are now-defunct, I believe).

Anyone care to add to the list?

The ones that seem obvious to me are: Erase Errata, Lois, She Mob, Bikini
Kill, Magnetic Fields...

And, btw, just to clarify, my "last call" for a link didn't mean that you
can't send me links anymore. In fact, I hope to be continually updating that
list as much as possible (as time goes on). That post ("last call") was just
intended to mean that it was the last time I was going to publicly *post* to
the list for links. I realize that this sort of thing may annoy some of you
-- who just want to get back to the music. I just think that the list has
attracted a lot of cool people and I am kinda proud of that fact! To see the
updated list, look for the typical girls link off my very functional,
unartistic looking homepage.

Thanks everyone for your help and patience.

-Dina

dinahornreich AT earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~dinahornreich/

Moderator, CCSU TESOL Listserv
To join, mailto:join-tesol AT listserv.ccsu.edu
and reply to confirmation message

Ockhams Razor: Basic Scientific Principal
"All things being equal the simplest explanation
and the simplest answer is probably the right one."