sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Install media

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Install media
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 04:37:01 +0100

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 05:41:25PM +0100, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> Is this the isl update breaking the installed gcc due to removal of the
> old libisl.so.x?

Not sure if that was what Arjan ran into, but I did see it while
updating the chroots.

> I have this local sorcery patch that keeps old
> libaries around … we're in discussion about how to best introduce this.

Last year I was busy with developing something similar, the main
differences are:
- outside of Sorcery as a grimoire function, i.e. doesn't require a
sorcery release and/or update by the user
- move the necessary libraries (or any other files for that matter) to a
special "preservation" spell, i.e. no aliens released to the wild.
The "preservation" spell can be dispelled when no longer needed

I had this largely working, but didn't have time to do the final ironing
out. I would be very interested in pursuing this further though.

Some of the grimoire functions I made are very, very hackish, mostly due
to the lack of native support in Sorcery for what I'm trying to do. My
idea would be that Sorcery would be extended with several functions to
support this functionality like creating an "installed" spell out of
thin air, moving "ownership" of files on the system from one spell to
another, and manipulating dependencies in the tablet. Once the new
Sorcery functons are worked out, released in stable, and widespread
enough in the user community, the grimoire functions can be rewritten to
use the more native Sorcery functionality

Regards, Remko