sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC's multilib option, lib64 and lib32

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC's multilib option, lib64 and lib32
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 10:24:14 +0200

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 10:08:13AM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> I wonder if we could just remove that question for multilib and stay
> with what we usually tell people: Get yourself a 32 bit chroot.

I would say yes, let's just rip it out. We already have a shortage of
people and time, the fewer difficult underused features to support the
better.

> But then, maybe we want proper support for bootstrapping such chroots
> instead. Cross toolchains and that.

We provide a 32-bit chroot tarball that'll work perfectly find on a
64-bit machine. I think for now that is a perfectly acceptable solution.
Again, the fewer difficult underused features to support the better.

> Thoughts?

Installing to /lib64 if it exists seems kinda dangerous. Or at least,
assuming a system is multilib if /lib64 exists seems kinda dangrous.
Sometimes the only reason /lib64 exists is because of stupid binary
software that is hardcoded to use /lib64, in which cases it is usually a
symlink to /lib.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards, Remko