sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] GCC's multilib option, lib64 and lib32

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] GCC's multilib option, lib64 and lib32
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 10:08:13 +0200

Hi all,

I am in the process of fixing up aubio and lv2 that install things
into /usr/lib64, in the case of aubio only if it finds that directory …
and things like ardour5 being broken because our pkg-config does not
expect .pc files to reside in lib64. I see other code like cmake_build
happily prescribing $INSTALL_ROOT/usr/lib as libdir, with no choice for
lib64.

I'm not quite sure how our multilib support was supposed to work. I see
some code in gcc's install that looks out for lib64/ld-linux-x86_64.so.

Are we actually supporting things being installed in lib64 and lib32?
Are we seriously supporting a gcc with 32 bit targetting on a 64 bit
system? We don't install 32 bit glibc, do we?

I wonder if we could just remove that question for multilib and stay
with what we usually tell people: Get yourself a 32 bit chroot. But
then, maybe we want proper support for bootstrapping such chroots
instead. Cross toolchains and that.

Thoughts?

Alrighty then,

Thomas