sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Popularity, visibility, and level of involvement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Popularity, visibility, and level of involvement
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 09:37:40 +0100

Am Fri, 18 Mar 2016 22:53:14 -0400
schrieb Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>:

> The only thing I want to say is that I have always been free to give
> access to the server regarding beta+friends' fs level + sudo along with
> the site itself.
>
> But the truth is that the page:
>
> http://beta.sourcemage.ru/Authors
>
> still has only me, which means everyone has been busy without some time
> to edit a line on the resource and ask for access (which I offered
> several times). I don't want to blame anyone, though.

What we had there was good enough to move to our main site and that was
the plan. I was on the brink on adding content to the mediawiki thing
from a wget dump of your site because there was no communication
anymore, p.ex. after a request from me about getting the site source
data (already rather late, this January).

I didn't think about the possibility of getting/having?! access to the
server when we didn't hear _any_ response from you during your hard
times. Please let's not start blaming each other for what could have
happened during that time. The past year was as bad as it could be,
PR-wise. Now let's get moving, shall we?

And to comments about rather moving to github/lab: That would plaster
over the fact that the distro is dead, not avoid it. If we do not
manage to run a single distro server, we're a virtual distro anyway.

By all means, we should have mirrors of our repos on those sites. Heck,
I don't offer any git repo for my software, nor do I use github, but
folks put up mirrors of my stuff anyway. You cannot prevent it if
people like your stuff;-) Well, if I vanish suddenly, my server along
with me, people still can access the github/lab/whatever stuff and the
software may survive. This is great, but it by no means prompts me to
move my primary websites and repos over to these platforms.

A dead project on github is still a dead project.

Alrighty then,

Thomas