sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Some Server Migration Progress!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Some Server Migration Progress!
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 08:28:30 +0100

Am Tue, 02 Feb 2016 17:47:16 -0600
schrieb David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>:

> Well, we can work that out eventually :) I know there are ways to
> improve performance, the PHP spell is the first one to start with.

Hm, I idly tried to update it to 5.6.18 as current stable … can we just
push it to 7.x? There are some incompatibilities … but then, who cares?

Cannot build it right now as apparently system components are too old
here. I need to setup chroots for this stuff … or rather VMs, probably.
I just pushed the update anyway. At least we don't have the
known-outdated 5.6 with whatever security bugs.

I need icu update and that will take out my laptop for a day at least …
crapload of stuff that needs recasting. Oh, dear, including really
heavyweight stuff. What was he benefit of shared libs again? No need to
rebuild things on updates?

> Then
> we can work out datacenter issues, or moving it to a different server,
> if this one is too network busy to handle it.

Unless the website runs on an RPi that is transcoding h264 video
_in_software_ at the same time, I don't understand these response times. It
would surprise me if the hardware is to blame.

> I'm reasonably confident the site is open to registration

Yes, I was able to register an account. I wonder if Stealth left open
some way of registration. For now I grabbed a wget mirror of the pages
and am considering parsing of the hatta HTML output and output as
Mediawiki syntax by some scripting. Parsing generated markup should be
easy … as it's supposed to be consistent.

About the bug tracker: I really don't mind much anymore if old bugs are
transferred or not. Having a historic bugzilla instance to browse if
one wants to look up an old bug should be fine. The new install
probably really should start freshly, with bug numbers starting high so
that they are not confused with the old bugs.

I am realising that we do e-mail and IRC discussions that should be bug
reports. We should start using a tracker again.

Alrighty then,

Thomas