sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Some Server Migration Progress!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Some Server Migration Progress!
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 17:47:16 -0600

On 2016-01-21 00:21, Thomas Orgis wrote:
Am Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:22:17 -0600
schrieb David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>:

That's possible that I'm doing the styling wrong for mediawiki, but I do
not see the same behavior, so maybe it's something else. Perhaps your
internet pip is happier to get to beta.sourcemage.ru than it is to get
to mediawiki.sourcemage.org:
https://gist.github.com/dkowis/86dcdd272bac6e4ce4cd

Interesting, you see a minimal delay of 574 ms, with the
mediawiki.sourcemage.org adding another 1000 ms. Your test emphasises
that there is some lagging on the distro server side?! Btw., the plain
http://sourcemage.org page (static, I presume) lets me wait around 370
ms. So there is quite some delay until the server or the network does
anything at all, disregarding any PHP stuff, which comes on top.

Well, we can work that out eventually :) I know there are ways to improve performance, the PHP spell is the first one to start with. Then we can work out datacenter issues, or moving it to a different server, if this one is too network busy to handle it.

There's plenty of documentation on skinning mediawiki on mediawiki's
page. I don't have time to do everything:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Skinning_Part_1

Of course, I was relating to it being possible at all, not that you do
everything. To help out, we need accounts … and I guess starting with
letsencrypt SSL instead of fancy 2FA is a good idea. I'll add such SSL
certs to my own mirror probably once I get around doing it.

I'm reasonably confident the site is open to registration, both bugzilla and mediawiki. If I have made a mistake there, let me know, I've not registered a second account myself to try it out. Go to town, it's a wiki, wiki things!

If we want to have some kind of centralized authentication mechanism,

Anything at all would be a start. I could even take having different
passwords for wiki and bugzilla, although integration of those would be
fine, too. It's not like I'll actually remember any of those passwords.

We have that right now, separate passwords for the wiki and bugzilla. One day, perhaps, we'll do the centralized auth :)

Alrighty then,

Thomas