sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Popularity, visibility, and level of involvement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Popularity, visibility, and level of involvement
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 06:43:01 -0300

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 04:18:29 -0500
Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:
> On Sep 29, Ismael Luceno [ismael.luceno AT gmail.com] wrote:
> > So, we have two separate problems there: to improve the potential
> > to be popular, and to be visible so that people can find about us.
>
> The first has never been a goal of this distro.

I didn't mean to say "for everyone", but right now SM is not appealing
even for those that might like our philosophy, merely for technical
reasons.

<...>
> > When it comes to visibility, IMO, where we have our repositories is
> > completely irrelevant,
>
> It absolutely is not irrelevant in the current environment of
> cloud-everything. We are seeing the advent of an entire generation
> that considers "git<cloud> hosted" as the minimum for a project worth
> their time.

And it's absolutely not worth recruiting those wimps. Seriously. We
could even move to CVS and it would have almost no impact.

> > Also, although less important, most are unhappy about having to
> > configure every minute detail the first time (this is something we
> > could easily solve, without compromising our goals),
>
> I don't see how, given how integral "we promise to install upstream
> defauts, unless you tell us otherwise" is to who we are. It's nearly
> the entire point.

Well, my idea was to decouple the configuration stage, and simply have
upstream defaults used when unconfigured. Later we can have a tool to
help the user find yet unconfigured spells/options to fine-tune the
system.