sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Popularity, visibility, and level of involvement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Popularity, visibility, and level of involvement
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 04:18:29 -0500

On Sep 29, Ismael Luceno [ismael.luceno AT gmail.com] wrote:
> So, we have two separate problems there: to improve the potential to be
> popular, and to be visible so that people can find about us.

The first has never been a goal of this distro. The second is reasonable.
We want those that our way of doing things would appeal to to find us. We
aren't interested in the rest.

> When it comes to visibility, IMO, where we have our repositories is
> completely irrelevant,

It absolutely is not irrelevant in the current environment of
cloud-everything. We are seeing the advent of an entire generation that
considers "git<cloud> hosted" as the minimum for a project worth their
time.

> What I think would make a difference is presenting our features in
> workshops and talks at events (we do have a few interesting features!),

I have personally been there, done that, at some of the larger cons out
there. There's minimal interest, because the majority is happy to take what
they're handed and so isn't interested in what we offer. The game has
always been to find the few that do care and get them involved.

> Also, although less important, most are unhappy about having to
> configure every minute detail the first time (this is something we
> could easily solve, without compromising our goals),

I don't see how, given how integral "we promise to install upstream
defauts, unless you tell us otherwise" is to who we are. It's nearly the
entire point.