sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Gitlab.com as the primary git entry point for Sourcemage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Gitlab.com as the primary git entry point for Sourcemage
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 12:56:23 -0700

On 9/11/2015 11:01, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> On Sep 11, Thomas Orgis [thomas-forum AT orgis.org] wrote:
>> Am Sun, 6 Sep 2015 10:55:48 -0500
>> schrieb David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>:
>>> At the very least, this can be a mirror, but I'm proposing that we give
>>> it a shot. Since the "grumpy old folks" can continue to operate the
>>> exact same way they're operating right now. Just modify the .git/config
>>> to point to a different origin.
>>
>> About those folks, grumpy and old or not: Isn't there anyone else with
>> at least an opinion about this? I'd expect at least one more reply than
>> my own. What's the census of people who care about Source Mage
>> development?
>
> I have historically been opposed to things that:
>
> 1) proposed changing our emphasis on scratching our own itches in favor of
> assigning tasks or changing direction to attract other people
>
> 2) migration of underlying systems for no clear gain other than "doing
> something different"
>
> 3) moving our stuff off of things we control *and* have support for without
> sufficient cold redundancy available to avoid any major outages
>
> 4) using closed products to produce an F/L/OSS distro
>
> With that in mind, I am fine with the idea of us making a gitlab repo our
> primary entry point for distribution.
>
> To (1), I don't see the effort here as sufficient to count as distraction,
> and the culture of pull requests has been an industry changing shift on the
> level of using autotools in your development.
>
> To (2), I think there's a very good chance it would get us some more
> visibility among the kind of people we want contributing to this distro,
> which is a very real problem right now (that "census of people who care
> about Source Mage development"). Historically we've applied to a very
> specific niche who loves us when they find us, but don't tend to find us
> very readily. Opening a "storefront" in one of those community places is a
> way to get out there without changing anything else we do as a distro.
>
> To (3), it should be trivial to maintain our existing infrastructure as a
> direct checkout of the gitlab master and switch back to it whenever needed.
> We would likely leave our existing distro struture in place too, so we'd
> keep distributing our own codexes and such.
>
> To (4), I wouldn't support this on github, but gitlab provides a truly open
> source tool. They may or may not use that exact release on their community
> site, but on the balance I don't see this contrary with our philosophy.
>
> Yes, it would change our auth to do pushes, though I doubt we'd have to use
> different keys... you can send the same ssh public key anywhere you want.
> I don't see that as an issue.
>
>> If we have to pick one, I'd of course go with the Open Source one. But:
>> Gitlab very much looks like Sourceforge in the early times to me. There
>> used to be a community version of that software, too.
>
> If they ever stopped being truly open source, I would expect us to treat it
> [...]

Jeremy covers my concerns and opinions fairly well, so +1 for what he
said. :)

Thomas has valid concerns as well, though for non-confidential data such
as this I believe a public cloud to have merit. Git itself protects us
from out-of-process modifications. I personally have enjoyed GitHub and
the ability that provides for forking and merging with others, even from
my phone while I'm traveling. :)

The only gains I see from migrating to GitLab (with a up-to-date copy
kept on scm.sourcemage.org) are:
1. Easier method for pull/merge requests from those without an SMGL
commit-account that does not rely on e-mail or a bug-tracker.
2. Publicity and visibility.
3. Our SCM is now in a "cloud" and less prone to a single point of
failure (SPoF), though failures will still occur.

If we do move to a project such as GitLab, wouldn't it be better to
utilize the built-in Issue tracker instead of the (now updated) Redmine?
That might be a subject for later, since it's not a requirement of using
GitLab and such.

-Eric