sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Time to merge devel-xorg-modular

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Time to merge devel-xorg-modular
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 20:32:27 +0300

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 13:12:46 +0100
Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org> wrote:

> Am Sat, 28 Feb 2015 14:18:33 +0300
> schrieb Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>:
>
> > so we can release today.
>
> Yay!
>
> > Others can report, too. And it will have the regular security update
> > procedure. But I'm planning to change schedule of grimoire releases --
> > decrease them to 2. It will make much more sense than 12 releases a
> > year which force our quality suck a lot.
>
> I think that should be discussed. It's not that substantial when facing
> _years_ without release, but I consider Source Mage a rolling release
> distro of sorts, and twice a year is not much of rolling.

maybe once per 4 months? heh.

Well, I have more than one hundred smgl servers, and no, I do not want
to break everything because of yet-another-forced-and-not-compatible
upgrade of A through Z.

That way we've lost a lot of devs (they just stopped to use the smgl
distro that breaks everytime, because all we had during the last years
were version bumps and absolute zero testing). And users.

Software nowadays is _more_ complex. It's not like it was in 2002.
And therefore release strategy must be changed to keep the distro on
float and in any usable form not only on localhosts.

--
Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>